GUIDE ON HOW TO WRITE A DESCRIPTIVE ESSAY
Descriptive essays are meant to teach you the lifelong skill of self-expression. That means that apart from college, you may need to know how to write a descriptive essay well into your career. This kind of essay will ask you to give a vivid and detailed description of something. The aim is to awaken your creative juices and make you create something original compellingly. Before you learn how to write a descriptive essay you will need to be creative with how you use language to convey a memorable image to the reader’s mind. But first;
What is a descriptive essay?
A descriptive essay gives a vivid description of a subject – the subject being anything you are asked to describe. You have probably seen so many descriptive essays in real life. They include newspaper articles, book reports, research papers, descriptions of single events, memoirs, and travelogues. If you have ever been keen enough, in all these cases you will note how the writers creatively manipulate language to bring the message home. If you were ever glued to a news article, chances are you loved the writing a tad bit more than enjoyed the message. We’ll tell you how to be just as creative, if not better.
What is the purpose of a descriptive essay?
Think of it this way, what if newspaper articles were written blandly? How effective would they be? Even if the reason was to deliver news, it’s much more effective when it’s done in a robust way – with concrete details and figurative language. The news hits harder when it’s written creatively to display a picture rather than blandly give information. If you’ve heard of history coming alive in a historical episode, or hills rising when describing a geographic location, it’s all the work of descriptive essays. A descriptive essay can also affect the person writing it. You can a lot about yourself when you are describing your favorite movie or food. You also get better at describing things and events with descriptive writing.
What is a good descriptive essay structure?
Apart from the descriptive essay definition, you need to know how to structure one. Nothing works without a good structure. A good descriptive essay should be well organized, have a lot of detail, use sensory language, and focus more on fact than opinion. So, if you ever hope to come up with a good descriptive essay format, you need to pay attention to the following tips;
- Select a good topic: If you have ever wondered how to start a descriptive essay, this is it. The first step to conquering your reader’s mind is to select a topic that will leave an impression on them. Your topic will allow you to compile a good thesis statement and aid your descriptive essay outline. Focus on the reader’s mind more than your own opinions and you are on your way to writing the best descriptive essay.
- Gather some facts/information: Great descriptive essays have a lot of information. This is the most important part of writing a descriptive essay. Look for names, physical attributes, background information, and sensory facts. All these will help you leave an impression in the reader’s mind. Once you have all these, you can then group them into specific categories and then use them as needed within the essay.
- Have an outline: An outline will help you organize your essay in points and paragraphs. Research the main points first and discuss how they affect your chosen topic and thesis statement.
- The introduction should be the hook that grabs the reader’s attention: The introductory paragraph in a descriptive essay should be bold and capture your reader’s attention. You then need to give a general outlook and pose some questions that you seek to answer within the essay. That also informs your thesis statement.
- Body paragraphs should be direct: Body paragraphs are the meat of your essay. These paragraphs should aim to satisfy the reader’s curiosity as well as answer the questions you posed in your introductory paragraph. Each paragraph should have a topic sentence that awakens the reader’s attention and tells them what you are about to tell them. The aim here is to be as specific as possible. Don’t give your reader too much information that may overwhelm them. Give specific examples and avoid generalizations.
- The conclusion should summarize your essay: Here’s how to end a descriptive essay; reiterate the main ideas you established in your first paragraph, and briefly summarize what you said in the body paragraphs. This is not the time to include points you may have forgotten in your body paragraphs – it’s time to end with a bang!
- Proofreading should involve enlivening your language: Once you are sure the conclusion is good enough, it’s time to go through your essay and comb out a few issues. Get rid of basic grammar mistakes and make sure your sentences are coherent. Another thing you must do with this kind of essay is to find places within the tale where vivid sensory language might enhance a description. Find an opportunity to recite a story rather than list items. When you use descriptive language, your reader will remember your essay longer.
Where can you find a good descriptive essay helper?
Descriptive essays are not always straightforward. You will need to know a lot about the topic and also be highly skilled in using language to convey information. This is when you need descriptive essay help. Our best essay writing service is here for you. We will take your order and give it to an expert descriptive essay writer who will do a great job and deliver your essay on time.
We understand that college can be rough and sometimes you might not have the skills to figuratively tell a compelling story. Our packages are very affordable to accommodate anyone with any budget. When you want to buy descriptive essay packages from us we will offer you a discount based on the number of pages you want to order. Don’t hesitate to ask for help from BestEssays.com top professionals.Order Now